Shrimp Tempura.This delicious appetizer belongs to Japanese cuisine.The best result can be achieved using cake flour,which is softer than all-purpose flour.
- 1 pound(480 g) jumbo shrimps,peeled with tails left on
- vegetable oil
- 1 large egg,beaten
- 1 cup cake flour
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch,divided
- 1¼ cups ice cold soda water
- green tea salt(see recipe below)
- Ingredients For Green Tea Salt:
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons loose leaf green tea
- In Dutch oven,add vegetable oil to a depth of 2-inches(5 cm).
- Heat over medium-high heat until temperature reaches 350°F(180°C).
- In a mixing bowl,combine egg,flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.Mix well.
- Add to mixture soda water and mix until blended.
- Spread remaining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch on a plate and dredge shrimp on it.
- Dip shrimp in egg mixture,holding by the tail end.
- Add shrimp to hot oil in batch(6 at a time) and fry until crisp,turning once,1 minutes per side.
- Place cooked shrimp tempura to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain and sprinkle with green tea salt.
Green Tea Salt
- In a grinder,combine 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt and 2 teaspoons loose leaf green tea.
- Grind well and sprinkle over shrimp tempura.