Fresh Vegetable Broth
Fresh vegetable broth.When a vegetable soup or stew calls for vegetable broth,it should be an intensely flavored alternative to chicken and beef broth.
- 1 medium onion(peels left on,studded with 4 whole cloves)
- 2 cloves garlic(peels left on and lightly bruised)
- 2 ribs celery with leaves,cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots(peels left on and cut into large chunks)
- 2 leeks,trimmed and cut into large chunks
- 8 white mushrooms,halved
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh dill sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 10 cups water
- 1.Rinse all the vegetables well.
- 2.Place all ingredients in a large heavy pot.
- 3.Bring to a boil,reduce the heat,and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- 4.Adjust the seasonings to taste and simmer for 30 min longer.
- 5.Strain the broth,reserving the vegetables for a puree to eat as is or to thicken stew sauces.
- 6.Let the fresh vegetable broth cool to room temperature,then refrigerate covered in a storage container or freeze.
- 7.Refrigerated it will keep about 4 days.This fresh vegetable broth recipe may be doubled.